This SIG is focused on phenomena and physics of acoustic waves interacting with liquid (either in droplet form or in micro-channels), and on engineering and applications of acoustofluidics in diagnostic systems, biotechnology and biomedicine. It includes topics of microfluidics induced by ultrasonic, surface acoustic waves, bulk acoustic waves and flexural waves, and the use of these for bio-sampling, microanalysis, and microfluidic diagnosis.
Join SIG Mailing list
L = leader; C = co-leader; * = Other key personnel
|[L]||Richard Fu ( Northumbria University ): firstname.lastname@example.org|
|[C]||Julien Reboud ( University of Glasgow ): Julien.Reboud@glasgow.ac.uk|
|Jack Luo ( University of Bolton ):|
|[C]||Jeremy Hawkes ( University of Manchester, Cardiff University ): email@example.com|
|Amanda Franklin ( University of Bristol ):|
|Luke Cox ( University of Bristol ):|
|Maddy Nichols ( University of Bristol ):|
|Tim Foat ( Defence Science and Technology Laboratory; University of Southampton ):|
|Glen McHale ( University of Edinburgh ):|
|Elijah Nazarzadeh ( University of Glasgow ):|
|Ran Tao ( Northumbria University ):|
|Nicasio Geraldi ( Northumbria University ):|
|Jonathan Terry ( University of Edinburgh ):|
Future International Acoustofludics meetings
Bimonthly Acoustofluidics Webinar Series
Bimonthly Acoustofluidics Webinar Series and other things related to the acoustofluidic community -starting May 2021 at the Acoustofluidics Discord Server
The 5th International Conference on Droplets will be organized by Profs. Peter Stephan, Tatiana Gambaryan-Roisman, Hans-Jürgen Butt, Steffen Hardt and Dieter Bothe in Darmstadt in 16th-18th August 2021.
2021-CBMS Acoustofluidics 2021, Virtual conference 26-27 August 2021.
The abstract submission deadline for Acoustofluidics Conference 2021 is on 30th June 2021. Pls encourage your group members to submit the abstract.
Acoustofluidics 2021 - 26-27 August 2021 - Virtual Conference:
Abstract deadline 30th June 2021
Dates of Event: 8th September 2021 – 10th September 2021
Last Booking Date for this Event: 6th September 2021
Description: The UK Fluids Conference aims to bring together all those involved in fluid mechanics research in the UK. PhD students and post-doctoral researchers are encouraged to attend as well as established researchers. There will be a lively programme of invited and contributed talks, and poster sessions, to foster communication amongst the community.
2021 SAW Sensor & Actuator Symposium 2021 in Dresden
The international 'Surface Acoustic Wave Sensor & Actuator Symposium - SAW Symposium 2021' is a hybrid conference and will be held simultaneously at the Bilderberg Bellevue Hotel Dresden and online on October 14 and 15, 2021. The biennial symposium is dedicated to future SAW technology and related materials and is co-organized by SAWLab Saxony and Silicon Saxony.
The Dresden SAW Symposium brings together partners from science and industry to create a platform for sharing ideas and inspiration for innovative applications. Special topics are SAW-based sensors and actuators, which are key components for the modern industrial society, especially for Industry 4.0 and Smart Home.
Cutting edge SAW Research and Industry together in one place: www.saw-symposium.com
2022 CBMS Acoustofluidics 2022, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
2023 ICU 2023, 15-18 August 2023 ICU Beijing
2025 ICU Paderborn Germany
Jan 14th 2021, Invited talk from Prof. Michael Boudoin, University of Lille,
Title: "Advanced micro-manipulation with vortex-based tweezers"
14th Dec 2020, Invited talk from Dr. David Collins,The University of Melbourne, Australia.
Title: “Touching what we can’t hold: acoustic micromanipulation for accurate cell sorting and biopatterning”.
Acoustofluidics virtual conference 26th-27th August 2020
Our 9th Acoustofludics SIG Meeting was held in
Cardiff University, UK, 10am-4.30pm, Wednesday 16th and Thursday 17th October 2019.
The meeting focused on our Early Career Researchers community (junior academic staff, research fellows, post-doc, PhD students), around the theme of applications of acoustofluidics.
Aim: Explore interests and opportunities in the applications of acoustofluidics, around 3 proposed sub-themes of ‘particle / cell manipulation’, ‘droplets’, multiphase systems’, and ‘acoustic devices’;
Exchange on the “different routes (simulation / experiments) and challenges” to enable impact in research on acoustofluidics;
Our 8th SIG meeting was held in University of Durham on 16th and 18th Sept 2019, combined with the International Confernece of Droplets 2019. More details can be found from www.droplets2019.co.uk.
Droplets 2019 University of Durham Session- Microfluidics and Acoustofluidics — Pr Richard (Yong Qing) Fu, Pr Jon Cooper and Dr Julien Reboud
Our 7th SIG meeting, Acoustofluidics Forum and Olympics 2019 was held in The University of Bristol on 26th and 27th June 2019.
Talks, technical demonstrations (i.e. the Olympics) and mind-challenging discussions.
The fundamentals and applications of acoustofluidic systems, such as bio-sampling, microanalysis, microfluidic diagnosis, filtering and container-less processing.
Bristol Programme Our Sixth SIG Meeting: 10am-4.30pm, Thursday 14th March 2019 Kibble Suite , Hilton Grosvenor Hotel (Glasgow West End). Organised at the University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK Focused on our Early Career Researcher community, around the theme of applications of acoustofluidics Specific aims:
- Explore interests and opportunities in the applications of acoustofluidics, around 3 proposed sub-themes of ‘particle manipulation’, together with ‘droplets’ (inc. multiphase systems) and ‘devices’;
- Exchange on the different routes and challenges to enable impact in research on acoustofluidics;
Our 5th SIG meeting, focused on simulation and theory and practise of software Heriot-Watt Unversity in Edinbrugh on 7th December 2018
The Twenty Second International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences (µTAS 2018) was held at the Kaohsiung Exhibition Center in Kaohsiung, Taiwan from 11-15 November, 2018. https://cbmsociety.org/conferences/microtas2018/. Prof. Richard Fu delivered a workshop-course on "Thin film acoustofluidics and lab-on-chip". https://cbmsociety.org/conferences/workshops-courses/
Our 4th SIG meeting was a satalite meeting to CBMS Acoustfluidics Conference 29th-31st August 2018 Lille, France. About 15-18 UK researchers attended the conference.
The 2-page abstract for all the papers can be downlaoded from: https://cbmsociety.org/conferences/acoustofluidics18/
Our 3rd SIG meeting Acoustofluidic Forum and Olympics, Northumbria University, Newcastle, UK. 26th-27th April 2018
- Information about the Acoustofluidic Olympics
- Olympics results board
- Meeting reports (with all photos inside)
Our 2nd SIG meeting Anglo French Physical Acoustics Conference, Session 1Selsdon Park Hotel, Surrey, UK 17th-19th January 2018
Our 1st SIG meeting Acoustofluidics Northumbria University, Newcastle, UK 26th May 2017
Opportunities to submit your papers to upcoming Acoustofluidics special issues
Special Issue: Theory and Applications of Acoustofluidics
Call for Papers Deadline January 29, 2021 https://asa.scitation.org/jas/info/specialissues/cfp_071320
A version of this page which indicates the focus areas for each page / group can be downloaded here
- Wash, trap, separate cells (Acousort AB, Sweden)
- Fusion of acoustics and microfluidics (Ascent Bio Nano, Tony Jun Huang, USA)
- SAW Generator (BelektroniG GmbH, Germany)
- Acoustic spectrometer (Dispersion Technology Inc, USA)
- Ultrasonic filters (FloDesign Sonics, USA) a How it works b. Demo reel
- Acoustic (cell) processor (LabXero, UK)
- Impedance Analyser (SinePhase, Felix Trampler, Austria)
- Megasonic Silicon wafer cleaning (SonoSys, Frank Holsteyns, Germany)
- Attune Flow NxT cytometer (Thermo fisher Scientific, Greg Kaduchak, USA) b Discovery of Acoustic Focusing & the Attune® Flow Cytometer
- SonicCatch, SonicWipe, SonicAmp (UsePAT: Stefan Radel, Austria)
Acoustofluidics, The UK
- University of Bristol Bruce Drinkwater: I built an acoustic levitator! : Making liquid float on air : Acoustofluidic Olympics in Bristol
- University of Birmingham, Mehdi Jangi
- University of Exeter, Geof Nash
- University of Glasgow Julien Reboud, Jonathan Cooper, Thomas Franke Soft matter group
- Heriot Watt University Marc Phillipe, Yves Desmulliez, Anne Bernassau, Baixin Chen;
- University of Leeds Chris Wood
- Loughborough University, Valerie J Pinfield
- Northumbria University, Richard Fu
- University of Southampton Peter Glynne Jones, Martyn Hill, Dario Carugo, Tim Leighton: a. The extraordinary potential of bubble acoustics b.The Acoustic bubble
- University of Sussex/NPL, Gianluca Memoli
- Some acoustic properties of cooked spaghetti Jeremy Hawkes
- Cardiff Unviersity, Chris Xin Yang
- Edinburgh University, Glen McHale.
Acoustofluidics, The Rest of the World
- University of Augsburg , Achim Wixforth
- University of California San Diego, MADLab Medically Advanced Devices Laboratory a. James Friend b. SAW Microfluidics Lecture, Lorentz Center, April 2012
- CNRS-Universite Grenoble Alpes, Pierre Thibault, Philippe Marmottant, Soap Film Opera Fast Acoustic Tweezers and Ultrasonic Dance of Bubbles, A toroidal vortex in the rotating-rod experiment
- CNRS- Paris Laboratoire de Physico-Chimie Théorique, Michael Schindler
- CSIC, Itziar González Gómez
- DTU, a. Henrik Bruus b. Diving with microparticles in acoustic fields
- Duke University, Acoustofluidics Lab, Tony Jun Huang, Gabriel P. Lopez Fabrication and Operation of Acoustofluidic Devices Supporting Bulk Acoustic Standing Waves for Sheathless Focusing of Particles
- ETH, Jürg Dual Ultrasonic particle manipulation
- Institut FEMTO-ST , Jean-François Manceau
- Fluides Complexes et Instabiles Hydrodynamiques FCIH, Regis Wunenburger
- Georg-August-Universität Göttingen Robert Mettin
- University of Idaho, Michael J Anderson, Acoustic Resonator Particle Separation
- University of Illinois Kenneth Suslick
- Harvard Natural Sciences Lecture Demonstrations Ultrasonic levitation
- KTH, Martin Wiklund
- Université des Sciences et Technologies de Lille 1, Michaël Baudoin
- Lund University, Acoustofluidics group, Thomas Laurell
- Max Plank Institute for Dynamics and self-organization, Detlef Lohse
- Monash University Adrian Neild, Microfluidic mixing under low frequency vibration - swirling of particle laden fluid, Video for Fig 3
- Polytechnique Montréal, Etienne Robert
- RMIT, Leslie Yeo, Professor Leslie Yeo - Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology (WIN) Seminar
- Rune Barnkob
- Technion – Israel Institute of Technology Ofer Manor
- University of Twente, Alvaro Marin
- USWNet: a. Technology b. Videos
- Wageningen University, Karel Keesman
- Waseda University, Kenji Yasuda
- Washington State University Philip L Marston
- Washington University in St Louis, J Mark Meacham
- University of Washinghton, Lawrence Crum
- Die ZacklPumpe (Tip: Non-German readers use Translate page), a. Video Modellboot, b. Video Versuchsboo
- Université de Franche Comté, Jean-Francois Manceau. https://teams.femto-st.fr//BioMicroDevices/acoustophoresis
Jobs in Acoustofluidics
Project supervisor: Dr. Martin Brinkmann, Northumbria University
Subject: Funded PhD project from Northumbria University
Topic: Controlling directional spreading on smart surfaces
Closing date: 29/1/21
Controlling directional spreading on smart surfaces (Advert Reference: RDF21/EE/MPEE/BRINKMANNMartin)
The principal supervisor for this project is Dr. Martin Brinkmann. firstname.lastname@example.org
Eligibility and How to Apply:
Please note eligibility requirement:
• Academic excellence of the proposed student i.e. 2:1 (or equivalent GPA from non-UK universities [preference for 1st class honours]); or a Masters (preference for Merit or above); or APEL evidence of substantial practitioner achievement.
• Appropriate IELTS score, if required.
• Applicants cannot apply for this funding if currently engaged in Doctoral study at Northumbria or elsewhere.
Please note: Applications that do not include a research proposal of approximately 1,000 words (not a copy of the advert), or that do not include the advert reference (e.g. RDF21/EE/MPEE/BRINKMANNMartin) will not be considered.
Deadline for applications: 29 January 2021
Start Date: 1 October 2021
Northumbria University takes pride in, and values, the quality and diversity of our staff. We welcome applications from all members of the community.
Funding Notes: The studentship is available to Home and International (including EU) students, and includes a full stipend, paid for three years at RCUK rates (for 2020/21, this is £15,285 pa) and full tuition fees.
This is a new space for to advertise and make others aware of funding which could be used to develop Acoustofluidics. If you are starting a project this space can also be used to advertise for collaborators.
Worldwide funding oportunities and collaborations can be advertised here but, if it they are limited one region please make this clear.
Send Adverts / Links to email@example.com