This SIG is focused on phenomena and physics of acoustic waves interacting with liquid (either in droplet form or in micro-channels), and on engineering and applications of acoustofluidics in diagnostic systems, biotechnology and biomedicine. It includes topics of microfluidics induced by ultrasonic, surface acoustic waves, bulk acoustic waves and flexural waves, and the use of these for bio-sampling, microanalysis, and microfluidic diagnosis.
Join SIG Mailing list
L = leader; C = co-leader; * = Other key personnel
|[L]||Richard Fu ( Northumbria University ): firstname.lastname@example.org|
|[C]||Julien Reboud ( University of Glasgow ): Julien.Reboud@glasgow.ac.uk|
|Jack Luo ( University of Bolton ):|
|[C]||Jeremy Hawkes ( University of Manchester, Cardiff University ): email@example.com|
|Amanda Franklin ( University of Bristol ):|
|Luke Cox ( University of Bristol ):|
|Maddy Nichols ( University of Bristol ):|
|Tim Foat ( Defence Science and Technology Laboratory; University of Southampton ):|
|Glen McHale ( Northumbria University ):|
|Elijah Nazarzadeh ( University of Glasgow ):|
|Ran Tao ( Northumbria University ):|
|Nicasio Geraldi ( Northumbria University ):|
|Jonathan Terry ( University of Edinburgh ):|
CBMS Acoustofluidics 2020 Virtual Conferfence
CBMS Acoustofluidics 2020 Virtual Conference
Date: 26-27 August 2020
Abstract Submission Deadline: 1st July 2020.
Abstract Template can be found from here: https://www.acoustofluidics.net/authors/abstract_submission.html
Future International Acoustofludics related meetings
26-27 August CBMS Acoustofluidics 2020 VIRTUAL Conference, Abstract deadline 1st July 2020
Pls submit two page Abstract to this conference. The details of programme can be found from this website.
CBMS Acoustofluidics 2021, 26-27 August 2021, Glasgow, Scotland, UK.
ICU 2021, 15-18 August 2021 ICU Beijing
CBMS Acoustofluidics 2022, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
2023 ICU Paderborn Germany
Our 9th Acoustofludics SIG Meeting was held in
Cardiff University, UK, 10am-4.30pm, Wednesday 16th and Thursday 17th October 2019.
The meeting focused on our Early Career Researchers community (junior academic staff, research fellows, post-doc, PhD students), around the theme of applications of acoustofluidics.
Aim: Explore interests and opportunities in the applications of acoustofluidics, around 3 proposed sub-themes of ‘particle / cell manipulation’, ‘droplets’, multiphase systems’, and ‘acoustic devices’;
Exchange on the “different routes (simulation / experiments) and challenges” to enable impact in research on acoustofluidics;
Our 8th SIG meeting was held in University of Durham on 16th and 18th Sept 2019, combined with the International Confernece of Droplets 2019. More details can be found from www.droplets2019.co.uk.
Droplets 2019 University of Durham Session- Microfluidics and Acoustofluidics — Pr Richard (Yong Qing) Fu, Pr Jon Cooper and Dr Julien Reboud
Our 7th SIG meeting, Acoustofluidics Forum and Olympics 2019 was held in The University of Bristol on 26th and 27th June 2019.
Talks, technical demonstrations (i.e. the Olympics) and mind-challenging discussions.
The fundamentals and applications of acoustofluidic systems, such as bio-sampling, microanalysis, microfluidic diagnosis, filtering and container-less processing.
Bristol Programme Our Sixth SIG Meeting: 10am-4.30pm, Thursday 14th March 2019 Kibble Suite , Hilton Grosvenor Hotel (Glasgow West End). Organised at the University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK Focused on our Early Career Researcher community, around the theme of applications of acoustofluidics Specific aims:
- Explore interests and opportunities in the applications of acoustofluidics, around 3 proposed sub-themes of ‘particle manipulation’, together with ‘droplets’ (inc. multiphase systems) and ‘devices’;
- Exchange on the different routes and challenges to enable impact in research on acoustofluidics;
Our 5th SIG meeting, focused on simulation and theory and practise of software Heriot-Watt Unversity in Edinbrugh on 7th December 2018
The Twenty Second International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences (µTAS 2018) was held at the Kaohsiung Exhibition Center in Kaohsiung, Taiwan from 11-15 November, 2018. https://cbmsociety.org/conferences/microtas2018/. Prof. Richard Fu delivered a workshop-course on "Thin film acoustofluidics and lab-on-chip". https://cbmsociety.org/conferences/workshops-courses/
Our 4th SIG meeting was a satalite meeting to CBMS Acoustfluidics Conference 29th-31st August 2018 Lille, France. About 15-18 UK researchers attended the conference.
The 2-page abstract for all the papers can be downlaoded from: https://cbmsociety.org/conferences/acoustofluidics18/
Our 3rd SIG meeting Acoustofluidic Forum and Olympics, Northumbria University, Newcastle, UK. 26th-27th April 2018
- Information about the Acoustofluidic Olympics
- Olympics results board
- Meeting reports (with all photos inside)
Our 2nd SIG meeting Anglo French Physical Acoustics Conference, Session 1Selsdon Park Hotel, Surrey, UK 17th-19th January 2018
Our 1st SIG meeting Acoustofluidics Northumbria University, Newcastle, UK 26th May 2017
Opportunities to submit your papers to upcoming Acoustofluidics special issues
A version of this page which indicates the focus areas for each page / group can be downloaded here
- Wash, trap, separate cells (Acousort AB, Sweden)
- Fusion of acoustics and microfluidics (Ascent Bio Nano, Tony Jun Huang, USA)
- SAW Generator (BelektroniG GmbH, Germany)
- Acoustic spectrometer (Dispersion Technology Inc, USA)
- Ultrasonic filters (FloDesign Sonics, USA) a How it works b. Demo reel
- Acoustic (cell) processor (LabXero, UK)
- Impedance Analyser (SinePhase, Felix Trampler, Austria)
- Megasonic Silicon wafer cleaning (SonoSys, Frank Holsteyns, Germany)
- Attune Flow NxT cytometer (Thermo fisher Scientific, Greg Kaduchak, USA) b Discovery of Acoustic Focusing & the Attune® Flow Cytometer
- SonicCatch, SonicWipe, SonicAmp (UsePAT: Stefan Radel, Austria)
Acoustofluidics, The UK
- University of Bristol Bruce Drinkwater: I built an acoustic levitator! : Making liquid float on air : Acoustofluidic Olympics in Bristol
- University of Birmingham, Mehdi Jangi
- University of Exeter, Geof Nash
- University of Glasgow Julien Reboud, Jonathan Cooper, Thomas Franke Soft matter group
- Heriot Watt University Marc Phillipe, Yves Desmulliez, Anne Bernassau
- University of Leeds Chris Wood
- Loughborough University, Valerie J Pinfield
- Northumbria University, Richard Fu
- University of Southampton Peter Glynne Jones, Martyn Hill, Dario Carugo, Tim Leighton: a. The extraordinary potential of bubble acoustics b.The Acoustic bubble
- University of Sussex/NPL, Gianluca Memoli
- Some acoustic properties of cooked spaghetti Jeremy Hawkes
Acoustofluidics, The Rest of the World
- University of Augsburg , Achim Wixforth
- University of California San Diego, MADLab Medically Advanced Devices Laboratory a. James Friend b. SAW Microfluidics Lecture, Lorentz Center, April 2012
- CNRS-Universite Grenoble Alpes, Pierre Thibault, Philippe Marmottant, Soap Film Opera Fast Acoustic Tweezers and Ultrasonic Dance of Bubbles, A toroidal vortex in the rotating-rod experiment
- CNRS- Paris Laboratoire de Physico-Chimie Théorique, Michael Schindler
- CSIC, Itziar González Gómez
- DTU, a. Henrik Bruus b. Diving with microparticles in acoustic fields
- Duke University, Acoustofluidics Lab, Tony Jun Huang, Gabriel P. Lopez Fabrication and Operation of Acoustofluidic Devices Supporting Bulk Acoustic Standing Waves for Sheathless Focusing of Particles
- ETH, Jürg Dual Ultrasonic particle manipulation
- Institut FEMTO-ST , Jean-François Manceau
- Fluides Complexes et Instabiles Hydrodynamiques FCIH, Regis Wunenburger
- Georg-August-Universität Göttingen Robert Mettin
- University of Idaho, Michael J Anderson, Acoustic Resonator Particle Separation
- University of Illinois Kenneth Suslick
- Harvard Natural Sciences Lecture Demonstrations Ultrasonic levitation
- KTH, Martin Wiklund
- Université des Sciences et Technologies de Lille 1, Michaël Baudoin
- Lund University, Acoustofluidics group, Thomas Laurell
- Max Plank Institute for Dynamics and self-organization, Detlef Lohse
- Monash University Adrian Neild, Microfluidic mixing under low frequency vibration - swirling of particle laden fluid, Video for Fig 3
- Polytechnique Montréal, Etienne Robert
- RMIT, Leslie Yeo, Professor Leslie Yeo - Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology (WIN) Seminar
- Rune Barnkob
- Technion – Israel Institute of Technology Ofer Manor
- University of Twente, Alvaro Marin
- USWNet: a. Technology b. Videos
- Wageningen University, Karel Keesman
- Waseda University, Kenji Yasuda
- University of Washinghton, Lawrence Crum
- Die ZacklPumpe (Tip: Non-German readers use Translate page), a. Video Modellboot, b. Video Versuchsboo
- Université de Franche Comté, Jean-Francois Manceau. https://teams.femto-st.fr//BioMicroDevices/acoustophoresis
Jobs in Acoustofluidics
University of Glasgow is looking to fill the following job for an EU funded project ITN EVOdrops. The project requires an expert in microfluidics and acoustofluidics who is interested to run the interdisciplinary network with the project coordinator Prof. Franke. For details please see the following information and link.
From: Prof. Thomas Franke, University of Glasgow
Subject: Scientific Network Liaison Officer, with responsibilities for both network administration and scientific advances
Topic: Directed evolution of proteins in droplet microfluidics systems
Closing date: 9th July 2020
This is a new space for to advertise and make others aware of funding which could be used to develop Acoustofluidics. If you are starting a project this space can also be used to advertise for collaborators.
Worldwide funding oportunities and collaborations can be advertised here but, if it they are limited one region please make this clear.
Send Adverts / Links to firstname.lastname@example.org