This SIG is focused on phenomena and physics of acoustic waves interacting with liquid (either in droplet form or in micro-channels), and on engineering and applications of acoustofluidics in diagnostic systems, biotechnology and biomedicine. It will include topics of microfluidics induced by ultrasonic, surface acoustic waves, bulk acoustic waves and flexural waves, and the use of these for bio-sampling, microanalysis, and microfluidic diagnosis.
Join SIG Mailing list
L = leader; C = co-leader; * = Other key personnel
|[L]||Richard Fu (University of Northumbria at Newcastle): firstname.lastname@example.org|
|[C]||Julien Reboud (University of Glasgow): Julien.Reboud@glasgow.ac.uk|
|Jack Luo (University of Bolton)|
|[C]||Jeremy Hawkes (University of Manchester): email@example.com|
|Amanda Franklin (University of Bristol)|
|Luke Cox (University of Bristol)|
|Maddy Nichols (University of Bristol)|
|Tim Foat (Defence Science and Technology Laboratory)|
|Glen McHale (University of Northumbria at Newcastle)|
|Elijah Nazarzadeh (University of Glasgow)|
|Ran Tao (University of Northumbria at Newcastle)|
|Nicasio Geraldi (University of Northumbria at Newcastle)|
|Jonathan Terry (University of Edinburgh)|
Future Meetings in 2019
Our 6th SIG meeting University of Glasgow will be held in March 2019, and is aiming for earlier Career Researchers (ECR) including post-docs and post-graduate students.
Sixth SIG Meeting: 10am-4.30pm, Friday 14th Mar. 2019
University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
Meeting room: Senate Room, Main building, Glasgow University
The meeting will be focused on our Early Career Researcher community, around the theme of applications of acoustofluidics. We will aim to:
- Explore interests and opportunities in the applications of acoustofluidics, around 3 proposed sub-themes of ‘particle manipulation’, together with ‘droplets’ (inc. multiphase systems) and ‘devices’;
- Exchange on the different routes and challenges to enable impact in research on acoustofluidics;
10:00-10:15: Registration (Coffee and Tea)
10:15-10:20: Welcome and safety
10:20-11.15: Keynote invited speaker – to be announced.
11:15-13:15: Technical presentation session
13:15-14.15: Lunch and poster section (with Group Photo)
14:15-15:45: Impact presentations – translating applications
15:45-16:30: Open discussions on opportunities and challenges in translation.
The UKFN will provide us with limited funding, but it will be mainly used to cover refreshments and lunch, and reasonable expenses for the travel of invited speakers. We could provide some funding for research staff/students from our SIG members to fund their travel expenses. If you need to have funding support, please contact Julien.firstname.lastname@example.org or Richard.email@example.com in advance.
Who May Attend
All members of the SIG, Research Fellows, post-doc researchers or PhD students are invited to attend.
For attendance, please reply to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If possible, could you also list additional people from your group who will be coming and whether Staff, PhD or Research Fellow.
We’d appreciate replies whether you can attend or not. This will help us with room sizes and catering. Please indicate any dietary matters we need to consider for lunch (vegetarian/vegan/gluten-free, etc).
Travel and Maps
The campus is located on
The event will take place in the main building (https://www.gla.ac.uk/explore/maps/), easily accessible by public transport.
If there are any problems or queries, feel free to contact Dr. Julien Reboud @ Julien.email@example.com
Our 7th SIG meeting + Acoustofluidic Olympics will be held in University of Bristol on 26th and 27th June 2019, and will a big event combining with UK Acoustic Newtwork SIG of NDT. This event will combine lecture, poster and mostly important event of "Olympic Demonstration".
Our 8th SIG meeting will be held in University of Durham on 16th and 18th Sept 2019, and will be comined into Intternaitonal Confernece of Droplets 2019. More details can be found from www.droplets2019.co.uk. Abstract submission is now open; please pass information on to anyone who might be interested.
Jobs in Acoustofluidics
From: Dr. Dario Carugo, email: D.Carugo@soton.ac.uk
PhD position on ultrafast-imaging-of-cell-nanobubble-interactions-for-bone-repair.
Marie Curie Early Stage Researcher in the project EVOdrops. Vacancy E20380
The project is part of the MSC Actions of the European Union for International Training Networks (ITN) to trains excellent students. EVOdrops is a transnational approach from microfluidics and biochemical methods towards the engineering of proteins and systems of industrial and therapeutic interest. There are 2 positions available in a collaboration between Professor Thomas Franke and Dr. Julien Reboud
International Acoustofludics related meetings
18 - 24 August.2019 Complex Motion of Fluids Summer School
26 - 28 August 2019 CBMS Acoustofluidics, University of Twente, Netherlands, http://www.congress.nl/en/project/english-acoustofluidics-2019-conference/
3 - 6 September 2019 International Congress on Ultrasonics (ICU), University of Leuven, Bruges, Belgium. Two sessions on Acoustofluidics 1. PAT Acoustic Tweezers and Particle Manipulation, 2. EAM Acoustic (micro)fluidics. Session Organisers Thierry Baasch, Peter Reichert and Jürg Dual Abstract deadline 24 February
16 -18 Sept 2019, Droplets 2019 University of Durham Session- Microfluidics and Acoustofluidics — Pr Richard (Yong Qing) Fu, Pr Jon Cooper and Dr Julien ReboudAbstract submission is now open; please pass information on to anyone who might be interested Abstract deadline 17 March
2020 CBMS Acoustofluidics University of Glasgow, Scotland
Our 5th SIG meeting, focused on simulation and theory and practise of software Heriot-Watt Unversity in Edinbrugh on 7th December 2018
The Twenty Second International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences (µTAS 2018) was held at the Kaohsiung Exhibition Center in Kaohsiung, Taiwan from 11-15 November, 2018. https://cbmsociety.org/conferences/microtas2018/. Prof. Richard Fu delivered a workshop-course on "Thin film acoustofluidics and lab-on-chip". https://cbmsociety.org/conferences/workshops-courses/
Our 4th SIG meeting was a satalite meeting to CBMS Acoustfluidics Conference 29th-31st August 2018 Lille, France. About 15-18 UK researchers attended the conference.
The 2-page abstract for all the papers can be downlaoded from: https://cbmsociety.org/conferences/acoustofluidics18/
Our 3rd SIG meeting Acoustofluidic Forum and Olympics, Northumbria University, Newcastle, UK. 26th-27th April 2018
- Information about the Acoustofluidic Olympics
- Olympics results board
- Meeting reports (with all photos inside)
Our 2nd SIG meeting Anglo French Physical Acoustics Conference, Session 1Selsdon Park Hotel, Surrey, UK 17th-19th January 2018
Our 1st SIG meeting Acoustofluidics Northumbria University, Newcastle, UK 26th May 2017
A more detailed version of this page can be downloaded here
- Wash, trap, separate cells (Acousort AB, Sweden)
- SAW Generator (BelektroniG GmbH, Germany)
- Acoustic spectrometer (Dispersion Technology Inc, USA)
- Ultrasonic filters (FloDesign Sonics, USA) a How it works b. Demo reel
- Acoustic (cell) processor (LabXero, UK)
- Impedance Analyser (SinePhase, Felix Trampler, Austria)
- Megasonic Silicon wafer cleaning (SonoSys, Frank Holsteyns, Germany)
- Attune Flow NxT cytometer (Thermo fisher Scientific, Greg Kaduchak, USA) b. Attune Flow cytometer focusing
- SonicCatch, SonicWipe, SonicAmp (UsePAT: Stefan Radel, Austria)
Acoustofluidics, The UK
- University of Bristol Bruce Drinkwater: I built an acoustic levitator! Making liquid float on air
- University of Birmingham, Mehdi Jangi
- University of Exeter, Geof Nash
- University of Glasgow Julien Reboud, Jonathan Cooper, Thomas Franke Soft matter group
- Heriot Watt University Marc Phillipe, Yves Desmulliez, Anne Bernassau
- University of Leeds Chris Wood
- Loughborough University, Valerie J Pinfield
- Northumbria University, Richard Fu
- University of Southampton Peter Glynne Jones, Martyn Hill, Dario Carugo, Tim Leighton: a. The extraordinary potential of bubble acoustics b.The Acoustic bubble
- University of Sussex/NPL, Gianluca Memoli
- Some acoustic properties of cooked spaghetti Jeremy Hawkes
Acoustofluidics, The Rest of the World
- University of Augsburg , Achim Wixforth
- University of California San Diego, MADLab Medically Advanced Devices Laboratory a. James Friend b. SAW Microfluidics Lecture, Lorentz Center, April 2012
- CNRS-Universite Grenoble Alpes, Pierre Thibault, Philippe Marmottant, Soap Film Opera Fast Acoustic Tweezers and Ultrasonic Dance of Bubbles, A toroidal vortex in the rotating-rod experiment
- CNRS- Paris Laboratoire de Physico-Chimie Théorique, Michael Schindler
- CSIC, Itziar González Gómez
- DTU, a. Henrik Bruus b. Diving with microparticles in acoustic fields
- Duke University, Acoustofluidics Lab, Tony Jun Huang, Gabriel P. Lopez Fabrication and Operation of Acoustofluidic Devices Supporting Bulk Acoustic Standing Waves for Sheathless Focusing of Particles
- ETH, Jürg Dual Ultrasonic particle manipulation
- Institut FEMTO-ST , Jean-François Manceau
- Fluides Complexes et Instabiles Hydrodynamiques FCIH, Regis Wunenburger
- Georg-August-Universität Göttingen Robert Mettin
- University of Idaho, Michael J Anderson, Acoustic Resonator Particle Separation
- University of Illinois Kenneth Suslick
- Harvard Natural Sciences Lecture Demonstrations Ultrasonic levitation
- KTH, Martin Wiklund
- Université des Sciences et Technologies de Lille 1, Michaël Baudoin
- Lund University, Acoustofluidics group, Thomas Laurell
- Max Plank Institute for Dynamics and self-organization, Detlef Lohse
- Monash University Adrian Neild, Microfluidic mixing under low frequency vibration - swirling of particle laden fluid, Video for Fig 3
- Polytechnique Montréal, Etienne Robert
- RMIT, Leslie Yeo, Professor Leslie Yeo - Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology (WIN) Seminar
- Rune Barnkob
- University of Twente, Alvaro Marin
- USWNet: a. Technology b. Videos
- Wageningen University, Karel Keesman
- Waseda University, Kenji Yasuda
- University of Washinghton, Lawrence Crum
- Die ZacklPumpe (Tip: Non-German readers use Translate page), a. Video Modellboot, b. Video Versuchsboo