Message sent to UKFN mailing list
UK Fluids Network Newsletter
Issue 10 (22/8/17)
Welcome to Issue 10 of the UK Fluids Network newsletter, a regular summary of the Network's activities and news from the UK Fluids community.
1. New address for UKFN
The UK Fluids Network has moved to https://fluids.ac.uk, so please start using the new address. The main contact email is now email@example.com.
2. Photo and video competition – time to vote, https://fluids.ac.uk/competition
The 1st UKFN photo/video competition is now closed. The Executive Committee has chosen a shortlist of 10 photos and 10 videos, which are listed on the Competition page. We would now like you to pick your favourite photo and video to help choose the winners.
Please go to https://fluids.ac.uk/competition. Voting is open till Thursday, 31 August 2017.
3. Researcher Resources, https://fluids.ac.uk/researcher-resources (Repeat)
Researcher resources are now on the website. Please contact us to add new resources.
4. Short Research Visits, https://fluids.ac.uk/srv
These are open to any UK fluids researcher for a visit of 1-2 weeks within the UK, with up to £1000 per visit available from UKFN. The SRV page on the website includes some visit reports.
We are currently accepting proposals for the third batch of SRVs, deadline 30 September 2017.
5. UKFN at the UK Fluids Conference
UKFN will be involved with the forthcoming UK Fluids Conference at Leeds, 6-8 September, in several ways:
• Competitions – there will be prizes awarded for the best oral presentation and poster
• ‘Meet the SIG leaders’ – a chance to chat with some of the SIG leaders and find out more about the SIGs
• UKFN stand – come and see us in the conference foyer
6. Forthcoming workshops and conferences (What’s On & Tweets)
(a) Hands-on tutorial on CFD using Code_Saturne
4-6 Oct 2017, Jülich, Germany
Deadline: (free) registration – 22 September 2017
(b) Discussion meeting "Turbulence from Angstroms to Light Years" (recommended for ECRs working in turbulence)
20-25 Jan 2018, Bangalore, India
Deadline: registration – 15 October 2017
• Please contact us by Friday, 22 September 2017 if you would like to advertise a workshop or conference in the next newsletter.
7. Open PDRA, faculty and other positions
(a) PhD studentship, Imperial College, London CDT/Schlumberger
Upscaling polymer-enhanced oil recovery processes
(b) Head of Air Flow Design, Airlabs, Copenhagen
Closing date: 25 August 2017
(c) PhD studentship, Physics/Engineering, University of Manchester
Biomechanics of human ventricles in hypertensive patients using computer models of the heart
Closing date: 1 September 2017
(d) PDRF, University of Exeter, College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences
Bio-inspired micro swimming
Closing date: 21 September 2017
(e) PhD studentship, University of Edinburgh, School of Engineering
Fluid dynamics of biological compliant surfaces in turbulent flow
Closing date: open till filled
• Please contact us by Friday, 22 September 2017 if you would like to advertise open PDRA, faculty and other positions in the next newsletter.
If you have any other items that you would like to advertise through the newsletter, please let us know.
To receive this newsletter, please sign up to the mailing list at https://fluids.ac.uk/.
We welcome your input and comments at https://fluids.ac.uk/connect or firstname.lastname@example.org