Message sent to UKFN mailing list
UK Fluids Network Newsletter
Issue 8 (8/6/17)
Welcome to Issue 8 of the UK Fluids Network newsletter, a regular summary of the Network's activities and news from the UK Fluids community.
1. Network numbers
Time for a few numbers:
· 698 academics from 63 institutions in 41 Special Interest Groups
· 412 registered users
· 600 on mailing list
· 302 Twitter followers
o Registering on UKFN website (https://ukfluids.net/register) and add your research interests
o Getting your colleagues to subscribe to the mailing list (automatically added if they register)
o Following @UKFluidsNetwork on Twitter
o Joining a Special Interest Group (see below)
2. Publicity for UKFN
Please help us to publicise UKFN by adding links from your website. The UKFN logo, at various sizes, is attached to this email. Add a link to the UKFN website with, for example,
<a href=”https://ukfluids.net/”> <img src=”UKFN_250px.png”> </a>
3. Photo and video competition, https://ukfluids.net/competition
We are delighted to announce the launch of a photo and video competition with cash prizes for the best new photo and short video on a fluids subject. Full details on how to enter are on the website.
4. Researcher Resources, https://ukfluids.net/researcher-resources (Repeat)
Researcher resources are now on the website. Please contact us to add resources.
5. Short Research Visits, https://ukfluids.net/srv
The second batch of SRV applications are now in, and the successful applicants will be notified by mid-June. Thanks to those who submitted proposals.
We are now accepting proposals for the third batch of SRVs, deadline 30 September 2017.
6. Special Interest Groups, https://ukfluids.net/sig
Joining a SIG
If you want to register interest in a SIG, send an email to the SIG leader, asking them to include you on their circulation list.
So far, 24 of the 41 SIG meetings have had their first meetings. We will be distilling best practice guidelines from meeting reports and discussion with SIG leaders.
Keep watching the calendar of SIG meetings https://ukfluids.net/sig/calendar, accessible from the map page (top-right corner), for the latest SIG meetings and other UKFN-related events.
The following SIGs have their own websites, where you can find much more information including notes and presentations from their meetings:
· Cleaning & decontamination (http://www.sig10-cleaning-decontamination.net/)
· Low-energy ventilation (http://www.lowenergyventilation.org/home)
· Particulate matter filtration flows (http://tinyurl.com/ya62se4v)
· Urban fluid mechanics (https://urbanfluidmechanics.org/)
· Wave turbulence (http://www.jasonlaurie.com/sig/)
7. ERCOFTAC (http://www.ercoftac.org/) and UKFN
ERCOFTAC (European Research Community on Flow, Turbulence and Combustion) is a pan-European organization promoting collaboration and interaction between academia and industry.
We are pleased to announce that the UK Fluids Network will shortly take over as ERCOFTAC’s UK Pilot Centre, giving UKFN closer contact with this important European research network.
UKFN will be forwarding the next edition of the quarterly ERCOFTAC Bulletin free of charge to the mailing list when it is issued in mid-June.
8. Forthcoming workshops and conferences (What’s On & Tweets)
· Please contact us by Friday, 30 June 2017 if you would like to advertise a workshop or conference in the next newsletter.
9. Open PDRA, faculty and other positions
(a) PDRA, DAMTP, University of Cambridge
Computational/theoretical postdoc in MUST project (Mathematical Underpinnings of Stratified Turbulence) (http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/13804/)
Closing date: 23 June 2017
(b) PhD Studentship, School of Engineering, Aberdeen University
Effects of vegetation on oscillatory flow hydrodynamics and sediment dynamics (https://www.findaphd.com/search/ProjectDetails.aspx?PJID=81317)
Closing date: 30 June 2017
(c) Research Assistant/Associate, Department of Aeronautics, Imperial College, London
An adjoint solver for variable-density flows in the low Mach number limit (http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/BBX485/research-assistant-associate-in-computational-fluid-dynamics/)
Closing date: 6 July 2017
· Please contact us by Friday, 30 June 2017 if you would like to advertise open PDRA, faculty and other positions in the next newsletter.
If you have any other items that you would like to advertise through the newsletter, please let us know.
To receive this newsletter, please sign up to the mailing list at https://ukfluids.net/.
We welcome your input and comments at https://ukfluids.net/contact or firstname.lastname@example.org