Message sent to UKFN mailing list
UK Fluids Network Newsletter
Issue 6 (4/4/17)
Welcome to Issue 6 of the UK Fluids Network newsletter, a regular summary of the Network's activities and news from the UK Fluids community.
1. Short Research Visits, https://ukfluids.net/srv (Repeat)
· A reminder that the deadline for the next batch of proposals is 31 May 2017.
2. Special Interest Groups, https://ukfluids.net/sig
(a) SIG calendar
There is now a calendar of SIG meetings https://ukfluids.net/sig/calendar, accessible from the map page (top-right corner), showing SIG meetings and other UKFN-related events.
At present it can only be edited by the UKFN Coordinator, so if you would like to add a meeting or other new entry, or if you spot any errors, please contact us at https://ukfluids.net/contact or email@example.com.
(b) Registration of SIG members (Repeat)
If you are a member of a SIG, you are kindly requested to ensure you have registered at https://ukfluids.net/register so that you are included in the UKFN database. This will enable the lists of members to be built on the Members tab for each SIG.
· We welcome updates from all SIGs on their meetings and activities, so please contact us by Tuesday, 2 May 2017 with your news and comments. In particular, we would like to hear what worked well at your SIG meetings, and what could be improved.
3. Fluids seminars, https://ukfluids.net/talks
(a) Recorded talks
The Talks page contains a growing list of recorded talks: filter by Recorded talks and watch the seminar online.
(b) More UK fluids seminars
The Talks page lists upcoming and past fluids-related talks from Cambridge and ICL. We would very much like to expand this list – there must be dozens of fluids seminars every week across the UK – so please tell us about any fluids-related seminars at your institution, if possible with contact details for the organizer.
The Minutes of both the Executive Committee meeting (23/3/17) and the Advisory Board meeting (29/3/17) are available online at https://ukfluids.net/admin.
5. Twitter feed (Repeat)
This is a reminder to keep watching the Twitter feed on the home page, which includes all tweets from UKFN (@UKFluidsNetwork). Any time-critical deadlines that the newsletter would otherwise miss (conference abstracts, job applications, etc) are tweeted and appear here.
6. EUROMECH Colloquia
Check out upcoming EUROMECH Colloquia that may align with your research interests: past and forthcoming Colloquia are listed at http://www.euromech.org/colloquia.
If you want to propose your own, there are just a few days left this year to submit your proposal for a 2018 Colloquium: the closing date is 7 April 2017. However, this is an annual event, so put it in your calendar for next March, and keep watching the UKFN website.
7. Forthcoming workshops and conferences, https://ukfluids.net/, “What’s On”
(a) CECAM [Centre Européen de Calcul Atomique et Moléculaire] workshop "Addressing metastability in interfacial phenomena across multiple time and length scales”
29 August – 1 September 2017, Lausanne
Deadline: abstracts – 1 July 2017
(b) 7th European Conference on CFD – ECFD 7 - Minisymposia
11-15 June 2018, Glasgow
Deadline: abstracts – 30 April 2017
(c) Second annual UK Fluids Conference
6-8 September 2017, University of Leeds
Deadline: abstracts – 24 April 2017 (via EasyChair)
· Please contact us by Tuesday, 2 May 2017 if you would like to advertise a workshop or conference in the next newsletter.
8. Open PDRA, faculty and other positions
(a) Research Associates, Mechanical & Systems Engineering, Newcastle University
· DNS of Biogas Ignition (http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/AXZ597/)
· DNS of Turbulent Combustion (http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/AXZ648/)
Closing date: 11 April 2017
(b) PhD Studentships, College of Science & Engineering, University of Leicester
· Active Control of Wave Energy Convertors (https://www.findaphd.com/search/ProjectDetails.aspx?PJID=84371&LID=2645)
· Numerical Simulations of Turbulent Mixing Layer Diffusion Flames (https://www.findaphd.com/search/ProjectDetails.aspx?PJID=84422&LID=2645)
Closing date: 10 April 2017
(c) PhD Studentships, Advanced Engineering Centre, University of Brighton
· Unifying the modelling of in‐nozzle flow and subsequent spray formation at high pressure injection systems based on probabilistic approaches (http://tinyurl.com/lgs9ykg)
· EngD: a novel approach to zero emission combustion for ultra high efficiency internal combustion engines (http://tinyurl.com/mtc9fh7)
· EngD: a whole systems approach to energy management in the water industry (http://tinyurl.com/moz4d5p)
· Development of virtual design tools to support manufacturing of reduced greenhouse gas emission systems operating with alternative fuels (http://tinyurl.com/kpfqg8y)
Closing date: 10 April 2017
(d) PhD Studentship in Nanoscale Fluid Dynamics
School of Engineering, University of Warwick
Closing date: open till filled
· Please contact us by Tuesday, 2 May 2017 if you would like to advertise open PDRA, faculty and other positions in the next newsletter.
If you have any other items that you would like to advertise through the newsletter, please let us know.
To receive this newsletter, please sign up to the mailing list at https://ukfluids.net/.
We welcome your input and comments at https://ukfluids.net/contact or firstname.lastname@example.org