Message sent to UKFN mailing list
Welcome to Issue 4 of the UK Fluids Network newsletter, a regular summary of the Network's activities and news from the UK Fluids community.
1. Call for Short Research Visit proposals (Final reminder)
· The current deadline for submission is 31 January 2017.
· The details of the call are at https://ukfluids.net/srv.
· The next deadline will be 31 May 2017.
2. Second call for Special Interest Group proposals (Final reminder)
· The closing date is 31 January 2017.
· The details of the call are at https://ukfluids.net/sig.
3. Registration (Repeat)
· The Registration page https://ukfluids.net/register is live.
· If you are a UK-based fluids researcher, please enter details about your research interests and application areas. You can change or add to them at any stage.
· The data will build into a searchable UK directory of fluid mechanics researchers, users, and SIGs (as explained in the UKFN Case for Support: https://ukfluids.net/admin).
4. Twitter feed
This is a reminder to keep watching the Twitter feed on the home page, which displays all tweets from UKFN (@UKFluidsNetwork). Any time-critical deadlines that the newsletter would otherwise miss (conference abstracts, job applications, etc) are tweeted and appear here.
5. SIG meetings
The Special Interest Group on Fluid Mechanics of Cleaning and Decontamination (lead: Manchester; co-lead: Cambridge) has become the first SIG to hold a meeting of its members. The kick-off event took place in Cambridge on 26 January and was attended by around 25 academics and representatives from industry and government research.
· We welcome updates from all SIGs on their meetings and activities, so please contact us by Thursday, 23 February 2017 with your news.
6. Forthcoming workshops and conferences
(Deadline in next week**, passed*)
(a) CFD in Chemical Engineering @ 10th World Congress of Chemical Engineering
1-5 October 2017, Barcelona, Spain
**Deadline: abstracts – 30 January 2017
(b) 3rd International Conference on Numerical Methods in Multiphase Flows
26-29 June 2017, University of Tokyo
**Deadline: abstracts – 31 January 2017 (EXTENDED)
(c) 7th International Symposium on Bifurcations and Instabilities in Fluid Dynamics (BIFD)
11-14 July 2017, The Woodlands (near Houston), Texas
**Deadline: abstracts – 1 February 2017
(d) ERCOFTAC European Drag Reduction and Flow Control Meeting (EDRFCM-2017)
3-6 April 2017, Monte Porzio Catone (Rome), Italy
*Deadline: abstracts (passed)
(e) BAMC 2017, including fluids-related mini-symposia (Instability & Transition of Shear Flows, Dynamics of Evaporation, Recent Progress in the Mathematical Theory of Fluid Mechanics, Ice-Fluid Coupling, Spatial Localisation in Fluids)
10-12 April 2017, University of Surrey
**Deadline: abstracts for contributed talks – 3 February 2017
(f) Second annual UK Fluids Conference
6-8 September 2017, University of Leeds
Deadline: abstracts – 24 April 2017 (via EasyChair)
(g) ERCOFTAC Montestigliano Spring School “Prediction and control of aerodynamically-generated sound”
2-8 April 2017, Montestigliano, Tuscany, Italy
**Deadline: applications – 31 January 2017
(h) 29th International Conference on Parallel Computational Fluid Dynamics
15-17 May 2017, University of Strathclyde
Deadline: abstracts – 9 February 2017
(i) 2nd IMA Conference on Nonlinearity and Coherent Structures
19-21 June 2017, University of East Anglia
Deadline: abstracts – 24 February 2017
(j) 12th ERCOFTAC SIG 33 Workshop, Progress in Flow Instability, Transition and Control
19-21 June 2017, Certosa di Pontignano, Italy
Deadline: abstracts – 1 March 2017
(k) Joint ECCOMAS conference, ECFD 7 (7th European CFD conference) & ECCM 6 (6th European conference on Computational Mechanics - Solids, Structures and Coupled Problems)
11-15 June 2018, Glasgow
**Deadlines: minisymposia proposals – 31 January 2017; abstracts – early September 2017
· Please contact us by Thursday, 23 February 2017 if you would like to advertise a workshop or conference in the next newsletter.
7. Open PDRA, faculty and other positions
(Deadline in next week**)
(a) Postdoctoral Research Fellow on exploiting the Leidenfrost effect on novel surfaces
Northumbria University, Physics/Engineering (Smart Materials & Surfaces/Soft Matter Group)
Closing date: 27 February 2017
(b) Research Associate on “Modelling wetting of elastic fibres using lattice Boltzmann simulations”
Durham University, Department of Physics
(May display Page not found error, depending on browser – if so, close error browser tab.)
Closing date: 20 February 2017 (noon)
(c) Engine Research and Simulation position (Repeat)
**Closing date: 31 January 2017
(d) Research Associate on the numerical stability of convective liquid metal flows (Repeat)
Coventry University, Centre for Flow Measurement and Fluid Mechanics
**Closing date: 31 January 2017
· Please contact us by Thursday, 23 February 2017 if you would like to advertise open PDRA, faculty and other positions in the next newsletter.
8. Graduate courses
New MSc course starting October 2017: “Engineering Fluid Mechanics for the Offshore, Coastal and Built Environments”
Imperial College, London
Advised deadline for applications – 30 April 2017
If you have any other items that you would like to advertise through the newsletter, please let us know.
To receive this newsletter, please sign up to the mailing list at https://ukfluids.net/.
We welcome your input and comments at https://ukfluids.net/contact or email@example.com